Re: Altivec support in gcc

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 01:42:13AM +0100, Guillaume Morin wrote:
> Dans un message du 18 Feb à 13:33, Michel Dänzer écrivait :
> > As I understand it, the gcc vector extensions are only usable in gcc
> > 3.2 (maybe 3.1), and you'd have to rebuild everything down to glibc
> > with -mabi=altivec if you want to use that.
>
> No, you don't need to rebuild glibc to use gcc vector extensions. Indeed
> -mabi=altivec "extends the current ABI with AltiVec ABI extensions.
> This does not change the default ABI, instead it adds the AltiVec ABI
> extensions to the current ABI." (from the glibc info page).
>
> You also need to build the program with -maltivec.

That's not what the phrase from the info docs (GCC's info docs, not
glibc's) is trying to say; it's trying to say it doesn't change to
(say) the EABI ABI instead of the SysV one.

That said, I -think- it'll work.  Haven't tried it, though, and it does
change the stack alignment logic in GCC somewhat.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz