Re: Permedia3 console & 2.4.x kernel

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 10:20:22PM -0400, Michael Hackett wrote:
> I recently upgraded from the 2.2.20-pmac kernel to the 2.4.18-powerpc
> version, in order to get usb-storage support for my SmartMedia reader,
> and in doing so, I lost my console display. X still runs fine, and
> that's mostly what I use, but it would still be nice to have console
> working as well.
>
> Previously, I just used the Open Firmware driver (checking the "No video
> driver" box in BootX), which worked fine with my Formac Proformance 3
> card. And since I didn't use it a lot, I didn't mind that it was a bit
> slow. But after the kernel upgrade, that no longer worked (the Mac OS
> screen stays up until the X login manager takes over, and trying to
> switch to a console later results in garbage).
>
> Next I dug up the info on the permedia3 console driver. Apparently, this
> is included with the 2.4.19 kernel, so I upgraded to that, but all my
> attempts at getting the kernel parameter right (e.g.
> video=pm3fb:pciid:0:0:15:0,mode:640x480-75) have resulted in no change.
> I used to get the following during startup:
> MacOS display is /bandit/formacGA12
> Using unsupported 1280x960 formacGA12 at 84001400, depth=32, pitch=5120
> Console: switching to ...
> fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on /bandit/formacGA12
>
> Now, I can see no messages at all relating to displays or frame buffers.
>
> Any ideas on what might be happening or what to try? The only thing I've
> noticed that seems a little curious is a line:
>
> PCI: Switching off ROM at 00:0f.0

Yes, I get various PCI: Enabling ... messages.

Maybe it would be good to post your dmesg to the list, you might also
try adding debug and/or verbose to your boot arguments to see if you
get more messages.

IIRC, BootX has some logs you can turn on, maybe they would shed some
light also. Maybe some MacOS code is running that won't give the video
card up.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003