pbuilder and dpkg remapping table

Hi

"dpkg --print-architecture" give me this warning:
dpkg: warning, architecture `powerpc-none' not in remapping table
powerpc-none

since it's a warning, i've been ignoring it for as long as i've seen
it.  however, today i wanted to play with pbuilder

fakeroot pbuilder create --distribution sid -mirror http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ --arch powerpc
W: /home/rob/.pbuilderrc does not exist
Distribution is sid.
Building the build environment
 -> running debootstrap
dpkg: warning, architecture `powerpc-none' not in remapping table
I: Retrieving http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/dists/sid/Release
I: Validating /home/rob/pbuilder/build/29553/./var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_sid_Release
E: Invalid Release file, no entry for main/binary-powerpc-none/Packages
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                             (emphasis mine)
pbuilder: debootstrap failed
 -> Aborting with an error
 -> cleaning the build env

dpkg-architecture reports what seem to be sane values:
DEB_BUILD_ARCH=powerpc
DEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU=powerpc
DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM=linux
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=powerpc-linux
DEB_HOST_ARCH=powerpc
DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU=powerpc
DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM=linux
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=powerpc-linux

/usr/share/automake/config.guess tells me i'm
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, though i see dpkg parses the output of "gcc
--print-libgcc-file-name" (which is
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-linux/3.2.2/libgcc.a) to find the key to use
when it looks up stuff in archtable.

at this point i gave up... is this a bug in dpkg, or i it operator
error?

thanks

==rob

--
Rob Latham                                        Woodridge, IL USA