Re: Trouble with Dual boot MacOSX/Woody - Yaboot on G4 Gigabit

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 06:32  pm, J Q Private wrote:
But I am
having trouble getting Yaboot to work properly.

OSX 10.2 was installed over OS 9,2 on the same HFS
partition
(/dev/hda10).

Partition Map /dev/hda1
Apple_bootstrap /dev/hda2
Apple_Driver 43 /dev/hda3
Apple_Driver 43 /dev/hda4
Apple_Driver_ATA /dev/hda5
Apple_Driver_ATA /dev/hda6
Apple_FWDriver /dev/hda7
Apple_Driver_IOKit  /dev/hda8
Apple_patches  /dev/hda9
Apple HFS  /dev/hda10 MacOSX/OS9
Apple_Unix /dev/hda11 / (root)
Apple_Unix /dev/hda12 swap
Apple_Unix /dev/hda13 /usr
Apple_Unix /dev/hda14 /var
Apple_Unix /dev/hda15/tmp
Apple_Unix /dev/hda 16 /home
Apple_free Apple_Unix /dev/hda17

yaboot.conf contains:

macosx=hd:10 (I also tried macos=hd:10)

I've run ybin after changes

But straight booting sticks on something like
"Starting bootstrap
second stage ...." and just stops.  If I reboot into
OF and type "boot
hd:2,yaboot", Linux boots fine (I used the sample
yaboot.conf from 6.5
Kernel Image settings).

I don't really want to repartition (too much
important stuff on MacOSX
to lose).  Am I missing something obvious?

I see one thing no one seems to have mentioned. You
have your macos on 10, which is _before_ your linux
installation.

I was pretty sure that you had to install mac os
(physically) after linux on your hard drive

Here's mine, my MacOS is out at 19 (18 is designed
with the idea that I wanted a "talking" partition
between macos and linux that they could both write to,
but i haven't converted it to vfat yet. I don't even
know how to do that)

(by the way, 4 Gig is too small for /usr on a
powerpc!)

/dev/hda
        #                    type name
 length   base      ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple
     63 @ 1         ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh
     56 @ 64        ( 28.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh
     56 @ 120       ( 28.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda4        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh
     56 @ 176       ( 28.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda5        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh
     56 @ 232       ( 28.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda6          Apple_FWDriver Macintosh
    512 @ 288       (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda7      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh
    512 @ 800       (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda8           Apple_Patches Patch Partition
    512 @ 1312      (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda9         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap
   1600 @ 1824      (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda10        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /boot
  20480 @ 3424      ( 10.0M)  Linux native
/dev/hda11        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /
8388608 @ 23904     (  4.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda12        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap
2097152 @ 8412512   (  1.0G)  Linux swap
/dev/hda13        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr
8388608 @ 10509664  (  4.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda14        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home
25165824 @ 18898272  ( 12.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda15        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var
8388608 @ 44064096  (  4.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda16        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /tmp
8388608 @ 52452704  (  4.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda17        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /root
9758192 @ 60841312  (  4.7G)  Linux native
/dev/hda18              Apple_HFS Untitled 2
4404016 @ 70599504  (  2.1G)  HFS
/dev/hda19              Apple_HFS Untitled 3
42206712 @ 75003520  ( 20.1G)  HFS
/dev/hda20             Apple_Free
      8 @ 117210232 (  4.0k)  Free space

Thanks for this.  It raises a couple of questions:
1. In the yaboot HOWTO it recommends re-ordering the Apple_bootstrap partition to 2 - yours is on 9 and presumably works OK. Why the recommendation? 2. You say that the MacOS partition needs to be installed physically after Linux - would reordering the partitions have the same effect? I guess it would involve editing yaboot.conf and /etc/fstab files. Is this to be recommended?

I don't want to lose or corrupt my OSX installation because all my work files are on it. I installed Linux only once I'd got my production system working. I am wondering whether it may be safer to get a second hard drive. For the time being however, I can boot both OSX and Linux - it's just not very elegant ;-)

Regards

Clive