Re: optimizing my debian

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 07:51:54PM +0900, raphael wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a PowerPC, 64 RAM, with woody updated. Icewm as Window Manager.
>
> The trouble is: it's so slow, sooo sloooow. It takes 5 seconds to open a
> terminal, and so on. XFCE was not bearable. Not to saw about Gnome or
> KDE.
> The MacOS 9.2 on the same computer is an arrow, compared to it!
>
> Did I forgot to remove some useless processes?
>
> Here are a few configuration infos. Thanks in advance.
>
> raphael@macraf:~$ free
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:         61908      60236       1672          0       2876
> 19420
> -/+ buffers/cache:      37940      23968
> Swap:        65532      32764      32768

I would recommend buying some more memory if you can. As someone else pointed
out, you are using quite a bit of swap space. While using swap space isn't a
bad thing, if processes are being swapped in and/or out frequently, it will
kill your performance. I have a 266MHz G3, and while not the fastest machine,
the UI doesn't generally feel sluggish unless I'm performing a large CPU
intensive operation (like compiling a new kernel), but I also have 288 MB of RAM
in it.

| Nathan Ingersoll           \\ Computer Systems & Network Coordinator |
| ningerso@ruralcenter.org    \\ http://www.ruralcenter.org            |
| http://ningerso.atmos.org/   \\ Minnesota Center for Rural Health    |