fstab and volume types (was Re: X-windows question)

--- Chris Tillman <tillman@voicetrak.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 07:38:50PM +0100, Pedro Alves wrote:
> >
> > Another question... how I mount a HFS particion on Linux? I
> installed
> > both hfsplus and hfsutils!
>
> mount -t hfs
>
> You can put it in /etc/fstab also

Hmm, I never realized that the kernel had the ability to read hfs
volumes - it seems to me that the hfsutils and hfsplus documentation
said that it didn't.  Was the hfs line in my /proc/filesystems file
added by the hfsutils package?  I added the line

/dev/sda     /mnt/zip     hfs     user,noauto     0     0

to my fstab and it seems to mount fine now. I used the same options,
dump, and pass entries that were on my floppy drive line - is that
acceptable and should it work alright?  It looks like it works well,
but I haven't ever changed the fstab before.

Another question, is there any way to mount an audio cd so that it can
be played by a media player (it seems this is the way xmms would like
to handle things)?  Is an audio cd iso9660, because when I try mounting
it as an iso9660 volume, I get a response saying that that I have the
wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,or too many
mounted file systems.

-Nathan