Re: PowerBook G4 12": nVidia GeForce 420 Go sure is a problem

> > I've been futzing around with the kernel (2.4.20-ben5) with and
> > without the Riva driver, and dpkg-reconfiguring xserver-xfree86 with
> > and without the nv module, but I've mostly succeeded in getting it to
> > fail in less spectacular ways.

> Ok, try this one: http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/README, and for now,
> use it with NoAccel until I'm done ironing out some problems with Mark.

Success!  Here I am!  I'll post my XF86Config-4 for others' reference
at http://valla.uchicago.edu/ppc/XF86Config-PBG4 since it took me a
couple of tries to get it working.  If I log out of my XSession, I
can't use the console and have to reboot over ssh, but my research
over the past two days has led me to expect that.

It works whether I use video=ofonly or not.

> So far, the above version (based on XFree CVS "nv" driver) appear to
> work fine on GeForce4MX based macs and on a GeForceIIMX I have in my
> dual G4, though it doesn't quite work with the eMac's one yet.
>
> > As for the rest of the machine, pmud or apm emulation don't seem to be
> > working

> Sleep will not work for some time at least :( Segher and I need to
> complete an Open Firmware emulator in order to soft-boot the video
> chip on wakeup from sleep.

I was wrong about apm, it turns out -- /proc/apm has the right info.

> > Oh, one weird thing is that /proc/cpuinfo says that the clock speed is
> > 533MHz, when I am hopeful (!) that it's 867.
>
> It's probably a dual speed machine, I suspect you can switch it's speed
> via the cpufreq interface. Those machines usually boot at low speed.
> Check the actual speed by looking at BogoMips ;)

Well, the bogomips is 519.37.  I'll figure out cpufreq tonight, I
guess.

Thanks

O.