Re: rawplay: SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT ioctl on /dev/dsp failed: Invalid argument

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 11:07, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> I can't make rawplay (from rawrec 0.9.98-1) work on my G4 PowerBook.
> Whether it is run as root or not, I always get the following error
> (for instance, when executing it without any argument):
>
> rawplay: SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT ioctl on /dev/dsp failed: Invalid argument
> zsh: exit 1     rawplay
>
> ay:~> ll /dev/dsp
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2002-01-25 00:43:02 /dev/dsp
>
> What's wrong? I have the esound package installed; is it a problem?

Looks like rawplay is trying to set a sound format not supported
by your HW. I suspect it tried to setup for little endian 16 bits
samples while most pmac sound hardware can do only big endian.

Try passing it --sample-format=s16_be

The program defaults to s16_le, maybe you want to suggest the maintainer
to default to s16_be on big-endian machines... (though that isn't
completely right... the sample endian isn't quite related to the machine
endian. Better would be to actually ask the driver by using "no endian"
and asking back what the value actually was, but then, the kernel defines
"no endian" as beeing BE on BE platforms so ...)

Ben.

Ben.