Re: Linux does not boot after a MacOSX upgrade

Mike Lake wrote:
about his prob in booting after an OSX upgrade.

> The first stage boot loader works and I get ...
> boot: l    <--- I hit X for MaxOSX and it works OK and into OSX
>            < I hit l or linux single and I get...
>
> second stage boot loader starts
> Welcome to yaboot 1.3.6
> boot:    <--- wait
>
> The kernel starts to boot
> Welcome to Linux kernel 2.4.20
> ......etc etc
> pcmac_init
> setup arch
> then it fails at the text only a few lines down..
> openpic spurious
> openpic exit
>
> The laptop then shuts down

I have tried a few more things that were suggested to me on this list.

0. Did a reinstall of yaboot.conf as suggested by Chris Tillman. i.e.
checked /target/etc/yaboot.conf and it was fine so did:
chroot /target /bin/bash
mount -t proc proc /proc
ybin -v
exit

All went fine but still cant boot.

1. Chris suggested I do an e2fsck. I did an e2fsck on /dev/hda11 from a shell started by booting CD1.The fsck gave the partition a clean bill of health

2. At the boot prompt I can do a 'hd:11,/vmlinux root=/dev/hda11 and it
starts to boot the kernel pointed to by /vmlinux ->
/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-rc1-benh0
It fails after only a few lines with openpic exit. This was a perfectly
ok and functioning kernel, I have not done any X upgrades or kernel
upgrades.

3. I had a couple of older kernels in /boot from earlier this year. Now
they didn't work that well but they did get most of the way through a
boot sequence but were missing some module support and things. Would
they stop at the same error message?
I booted the machine and tried
"hd:11,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-rc1-benh020030721 root=/dev/hda11" (an
earlier kernel from 21st July 2003( and I also tried a
"hd:11,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-MRL root=/dev/hda11" kernel.
Both fail at the same error message just 7 lines or so down.

4. It was suggested I put on a backup kernel. I could do that as I can
mount and write to the device but I have no backup of the benh kernel
like what I have on hda11. The only kernel that does work is the
install24 one on CD1.
I know that I can't just copy that from CD1 to /boot on hda11 as there
are map files and modules and gord knows what else for it to boot
sucessfully.

5. I have also tried a reset of the nvram parameters but still no change. Thanks Michael Schmitz for that suggestion. I did option-command-p-r and waited for a couple of beeps. Still when booting I get the openpic exit error.

I feel that somehow the OF has been 'touched by a rotten Apple' but I am only guessing. (Interestingly that patch that I applied from Apple didnt even get logged in Apples list of updates. 40megs too.)

Failing that what's the best way for me to 'reinstall' from CD1 but just a bootable kernel and not touch /etc or anything else?
Or does someone have a 2.4.20-rc1-benh0 kernel that I can plonk in. I
built mine from src and I dont have a build environment anymore.

My existing one is 4 019 206 bytes so I still think it is untouched by
the OSX upgrade and there is something else that is stopping the kernel
in its tracks during boot.

--
Mike Lake
Caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.