Re: swiss german keyboard config needed

Hi

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 19:14, Andreas Wüst wrote:

> Hi Markus
>
> Thanks a lot for your fast answer!!
>
> On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 14:43, Markus Frauenfelder wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Andreas Wüst hat mal (am Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:22:37PM +0200) gesagt:
> > > I would be very thankful if someone could post his XF86Config-4
> > > regarding swiss german keyboards, and hint about other modifications.
> >
> > I guess you are looking for this:
> >         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
> >         Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
> >         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de_CH"
> >         Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
>
> Yep, except the nodeadkeys, that's what I've already got.
>
> > and my .Xmodmap
> >
> > ! keycode and keysym remapping should generally be used only if the X
> > ! server does not use the XKEYBOARD extension (i.e., there is a uncommented
> > ! line "XkbDisable" in the keyboard section of /etc/X11/XF86Config)
> >
> > ! Note that keyboard keycodes are determined by the internal electronics of
> > ! keyboard, not the host architecture.  For instance, PC keyboards are
> > ! commonly found on machines other than Intel 80x86-compatibles.
> >
> > keycode 10 = 1 plus bar onesuperior
> > keycode 11 = 2 quotedbl at twosuperior
> > keycode 12 = 3 asterisk numbersign threesuperior
> > keycode 13 = 4 dollar EuroSign onequarter
> > keycode 14 = 5 percent onehalf cent
> > keycode 15 = 6 ampersand yen fiveeighths
> > keycode 16 = 7 slash bar division
> > keycode 17 = 8 parenleft braceleft guillemotleft
> > keycode 18 = 9 parenright braceright guillemotright
> > keycode 19 = 0 equal braceright degree
> >
> > keycode 94 = less greater backslash
> > keycode 21 = dead_circumflex quoteleft dead_tilde
> > keycode 34 = udiaeresis egrave bracketleft
> > keycode 47 = odiaeresis eacute
> > keycode 48 = adiaeresis agrave
> > keycode 49 = section degree
> > keycode 35 = dead_diaeresis exclam bracketright
> > keycode 37 = Control_L
> >
> > keycode 64 = Meta_L
> > !keycode 66 = Caps_Lock
> >
> > ! There is no Delete key on Apple keyboard, some X apps need it
> > keycode  22 = BackSpace Terminate_Server Delete
> >
> > ! Soft-LineBreak key -> Compose
> > keycode 108 = Multi_key
> >
> > ! Apple key -> AltGR
> > keycode 115 = Mode_switch
>
> The Mode_switch did the trick. Is there any special reason you are
> mapping it to the apple key and not alt?
>
> > good lock with these two.
>
> Thanks a lot. But, uhhm, what was the debian way to call xmodmap? I
> don't want to fsck around with the global Xsession file in /etc/X11..

Ok, just for the records.. The debian way(tm) to invoke xmodmap:

1.	man Xsession
	and copy paste the script called 40custom_load-xmodmap from the man
page to /etc/X11/Xsession.d, and name it 40custom_load-xmodmap.

2.	in the file /etc/X11/Xsession.options add
	allow-user-modmap

3.	Create an .Xmodmap file in your home directory, following the syntax
described in man xmodmap.

4.	Restart the X server.

Attention: I am not sure if this also holds for machines using gdm, xdm,
etc. I *think* I had read that there would be some mechanism provided by
these session managers to handle .Xmodmap files.

I just ask myself why the Mode_switch key is not working out of the box
(well, of course I know why, because it is not mapped to any key, but
why is this so)??

--
Best wishes,
Andi