Re: make-kpkg + patches

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:13:47PM +0000, Matthew Yee-King wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to compile a benh kernel with the low latency patch from
> here:
>
> http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html
>
> I applied the patch, then added
>
> CONFIG_LOLAT=y
> CONFIG_LOLAT_SYSCTL=y
>
> to my .config
>
> then ran
>
> fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image
>
> But this command seems to whack the .config file and remove my added
> lines.

As was pointed out, this's a bad idea, but for reference:
> How can I use make-kpkg without wiping the .config file with the low
> latency stuff in it?

make-kpkg --targets should tell you. I think it's 'make-kpkg config' or
something of the sort, then do whatever to your .config. When you run
make-kpkg kernel_image, it knows the .config has already been parsed,
so it doesn't need to do anything.

As a usage example, if I'm upgrading kernels and adding patches, I
usually do make-kpkg config (or whatever it is) to run oldconfig,
so I can see what new options have appeared, and get the patches
installed. Then I can use make menuconfig to actually change any
configuration options I need to, and then make-kpkg kernel_image
to build it.

Don't forget, any revision flags you use '--revision x' for example
have to go with the first make-kpkg invocation, since it builds the
debian directory early on in the process. (Before configuration)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.