Re: cannot make system bootable (PMac 6500)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:26:07AM -0500, Allan Streib wrote:
> Still trying to get woody to install on my PowerMac 6500.  I got through
> the install process to the point of "Make the system bootable" using quik
> (I never got to choose this, BTW.)
>
> It cannot.  In the console log (Opt-F3) I see
>
> dbootstrap[78]: ofpath: This machine is not supported: AAPL,e411MacRISC
> dbootstrap[78]: Unable to get OpenFirmware device name
> dbootstrap[78]: The requested operation cannot be perfomed because the OpenFirmware device name for the root disk could not be determined.
>
> So, can I manually configure another way to boot this machine?  Other
> suggestions?

In order to figure it out you would need to get into OF. Try
Cmd-Opt-O-F at boot, you may need another machine and a serial
cable. There are more details at netbsd.org. Anyway, what you need is
the OF path to your drive, to put in boot-device. You can use setenv
from OF, or nvsetenv from Linux to set this. That's what failed in the
installer (the installer uses ofpath to find the OF path).

In OF, you can use dev / ls and devalias to figure out a valid
path name.

Maybe you might get lucky googling for your machine to find the
path somebody else has figured out.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003