Feeling Dumb -- WAS:foray into debian

debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org said:
> Assuming your iBook has a Radeon chip, you don't need to build a new
> kernel but the DRM from drm-trunk-module-src.

I'm really feeling like an idiot lately...  I guess that perhaps my first
venture into the world of XFree86 would probably have been easier if it
wasn't on an ibook -- but we use what we have. :)

I guess I'm looking for someone to hold my hand helping me to get OpenGL
to work.  I tried to recompile a kernel, and on boot I end up with a
"mon>" prompt, with a bunch of options, the only useful one being x for
exit.  Immediately after, I get kernel panic.  Ugh.

That said, I have a perfectly working pre-compiled 2.4.20-rc4-benh kernel
from linuxppc.  I have everything but 3D acceleration working.  I have
tried a lot of things, but seem to be missing a key somewhere...  I
managed to download (via apt-get by adding a new line in sources)
drm-trunk, and used make-kpkg modules to get a .deb file (which I dpkg -i
installed)...  But now dont' knwo what to do with it...

I seem to have everything I need it the XF86Config-4 file... but still
when running glxinfo don't have direct rendering.

Oh, and my ibook is the original ibook2 with a Rage 128, not a raedon.

Anybody want to help this poor soul?  I'd happily buy you a cup of coffee
the next time you're in Northern Michigan (US).. :)

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director