Re: Serial port problem

Uwe writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a strange serial port / modem problem and hope that someone can
> give me a hint.
>
> I am running woody on a UMAX APUS 3000 (aka C600, Alchemy mainboard).
> When I try to use any serial port to connect to my modem, the modem's
> SD (send data) light goes on and stays on. The modem does not respond.
> I have tried with kernel 2.4.18 and 2.4.19.
>
> Funny enough, the modem plus cable works perfectly with woody on a
> beige G3.
>
> Are there any issues with the serial port on the C600?

   Not that I'm aware of, but there are a few things you can do to try
and pinpoint the source of the error and thus correct it.

   In the serial driver code, drivers/macintosh/macserial.c, are lines
like these:

119 /*
120  * Debugging.
121  */
122 #undef SERIAL_DEBUG_INTR
123 #undef SERIAL_DEBUG_OPEN
124 #undef SERIAL_DEBUG_FLOW
125 #undef SERIAL_DEBUG_POWER
126 #undef SERIAL_DEBUG_THROTTLE
127 #undef SERIAL_DEBUG_STOP
128 #undef SERIAL_DEBUG_BAUDS

(from <http://lxr.linux.no/source/drivers/macintosh/macserial.c>). By
defining these symbols and re-compiling the module (or kernel), then
you may be more apt to determine the exact cause of the error.

   Elizabeth