Re: bash glob bug?

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 05:30:45PM -0600, Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> I seemed to have found a bug in bash's globbing behavior.
>
> Can someone explain to me how the file functions-sql.xml can possibly
> be included in the ls command below?

[ command pattern was [E-G]*.xml, output included a file starting with 'f' ]

Is it possible that you have your locale (or one of the related environment
variables) set to something other than C?  I don't get similar behavior by
default from bash on my computer, but if I set LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8 I do.

What's happening there is that the sort order for [] ranges is changed so
that instead of being EFG ... efg, it's eEfFgG, and f is the the range
between E and G.  If this is undesired behavior, you may want to set
LC_COLLATE=C.

Jon Leonard