woody install (on 8500 old world) wrap-up

Michel,

Thanks for the tip.  On a hunch, I switched my monitor with another one
we had available, and it turns out my current monitor could not handle
the refresh rates set by XFree 4.  But as luck would have it, the other
monitor that did work well in linux did not work at all with MacOS.  It
isn't a huge deal, but for safety sake, I'll use the unaccelerated mode
with my older monitor till I can convince my boss to spring for a new
monitor for me :)

On 30 Aug 2002, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

> You don't need a special framebuffer device for that. The X driver for
> your chip (or rather its maintainer) refuses to use a framebuffer device
> anyway.

Otherwise, the linux.bin from the pages referred to in the installation
manual did not work.  I redid my own kernel with ADB keycode turned off
and everything went relatively smoothly after that.

My thanks again to everyone who answered my queries and also to the
folks who put together this system.

ciao
vinai