Re: Network Install won't connect

The information you get from ifconfig does not seem very coherent to me
either. Josh already mentioned the incoherence about the broadcast
address, and with the full addresses we see that it goes farther.

The subnet mask, although unusual, is legal, and might have been selected
by your ISP. However, I have some doubts on that:if we pick up again the
computation that Manuel performed earlier without the full addresses, we
note that the subnetwork address should be 24.218.248.0, which means that
the four digits of the addresses on the same subnetwork must be in the
ranges 24.218.248-255.0-255 (hope I'm not mistaken, it's getting into
sleep time here in France :-). This assumes that your Inet address is
24.218.255.40, as per ifconfig output. Now the problem is that a gateway
at 24.218.224.1 does not seem to belong on the same subnetwork as your
machine ; this might explain why you can't ping it.

BTW, where did you get your other "default gateway" id (66.31.248.1) ?

My feeling over this is that your DHCP did not perform the initialisation
correctly, perhaps even not at all. Seeing the number of errors for
received packets might also indicate a malfunction of your Ethernet
board, but you said that it worked perfectly with MacOs 9 so that would
be ruled out.

I see two ways out of this :

1) you can reboot your Linux machine, note all initialization performed
on the network parameters, redo all the ifconfig/arp/route dance, and
send the results to this list for suggestions (we should be able to tell
whether DHCP really has been active) ;

2) or, you can reboot with Mac OS 9, go to the TCP/IP Control Panel, note
down all the relevant parameters, and then kinda quickly (meanning :
before the 12 strokes of midnight - and that's probably serious) reboot
into Linux and insert the parameters into the routing tables - most
importantly of course the id of your machine, of the gateway and of the
subnet mask. Note that the gateway may be displayed under MacOs as a "router".

I think the second way may be easier.

In case you read up to this point ;-) do you suppose you could check on
the existence and contents of a "dhclient.leases" file ? I can't tell you
where it is because my Linux box is down, but the dhclient man page
probably talks about it. If it's large, I think only the latest info
would be useful.

I do hope I didn't get too boring :-)

Cheers,
LMS