Re: X freeze on new iBook

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Jesus Climent wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 09:48:37AM +0200, Reto Wyss wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > recently i bought myself one of these new ibooks 700 12" Combo with an ATI
> > Radeon Mobility LY (AGP) card. i installed debian on it, and everything
> > went fine.
> >
> > it was a bit harder to get X working. it works now, but not accelerated.
> > i'm using the kernel 2.4.19-rc1-ben0, and i downloaded, compiled and
> > installed XFree86 4.2.0.
> >
> > now, the story is the following. when i start up X, everything goes fine,
> > however when i look into the log, it says that AGP is not available and
> > later on that direct rendering is disabled. this is confirmed by glxinfo.
> > an lsmod reveals that the agpgart module was not loaded. so i load it by
> > hand and try again. now X comes up again but ... the mouse cursor looks
> > like a bar-code, and the background has a very strange, irregular greenish
> > pattern. at this stage i can still tear it down, however if i start X
> > using startx (running kde) X freezes. running top remotely yields that X
> > is using 100% cpu. when i check the log this time everything seems fine,
> > AGP was found, DRI enabled and so on.
>
> In my case is even worse, now that you bring the issue to some light:
>
> boo:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> agpgart                20100   0  (unused)
>
> and from the log:
>
> (EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
> (WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize -- falling back to PCI mode.
> (WW) RADEON(0): [agp] Make sure you have the agpgart kernel module loaded.
>
> So I am missing something, here.
>
> Can you post your config file, so I can take a look at it?

here is the interesting part of my XFree86-4 config file:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Radeon Mobility"
        Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
        Option          "AGPMode"       "1"
        Option          "UseFBDev"      "true"
EndSection

you see, nothing fancy ...

reto

 Reto Wyss                       Phone : +41  1 635 30 72
 Institute of Neuroinformatics   Fax   : +41  1 635 30 53
 University/ETH Zuerich          Mobile: +41 76 436 22 75
 Winterthurerstr. 190, CH-8057 Zuerich, Switzerland