Re: XFree86 and xinerama on ppc

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:28:41AM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 23:01, Brian Victor wrote:
>> Do the changes need to be made to the kernel module, the XFree module,
>> or both?
>Depends what kernel module you mean, and what you want to use it for.

Basically I wanted to know if the kernel needed to initialize the CRT
before X could use it.  From looking at the X sources, though, that
seems to be unneccessary.

>For X, check out the IsSecondary flag in
>programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/radeon*.[ch] (4.2 or current
>CVS).

That helps somewhat, in that I see basically what's going on once the
variables get set up.  But getting the structures defined and
initialized seems like it'll be the biggest challenge.

There are two giant ATI patches in CVS dealing with multi-head on the
Radeon.  The first was a 1716 line patch that enabled support, and it
was followed three weeks ago with a 2232 line clean-up patch.  It looks
like a whole lot of both of those patches needs to be ported over to
r128 to get this to go.  And thats just in the driver files alone.  IOW,
this isn't looking like a one-weekend project.  Unless I'm missing some
shortcut.

I probably won't be able to make a serious run at this until July at the
very earliest, since I have a thesis and other such things demanding my
time until then.  So if anyone else wants to start hacking away at it,
be my guest.

--
Brian

                                            "We are each of us angels with