Re: XF86Config-4 for 266 MHz iMac

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:47:17PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> Well, thanks for the technical discussion! ;-) Unfortunately this doesn't
> answer the question: how do we get a 266 Mhz iMac to properly run X?
> I don't know where to put the video modes that were mentioned, for one thing,
> since they don't seem to be in the XF86Config-4 file any more.

The X server has a set of industry-standard modelines compiled into it.
You can read a copy of them at:

/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/examples/vesamodes.gz

> Is there a valid config file that any has that works? I've looked
> through the archive for the two years or so and I haven't found
> anything that works...

All someone needs to do is post a "Modes" section for the iMac's weird
modes.  You then add a reference to this Modes section in your Monitor
section.  The XF86Config-4(5) manpage explains this.  Here's an example.

Section "Modes"
	Identifier	"Weird-ass iMac Modes"
	# "Mode"s or "Modeline"s go here
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Primary Monitor"
	HorizSync	# 58-62 or whatever the iMac's tolerance is
	VertRefresh	# whatever's good for an iMac's CRT
	UseModes	"Weird-ass iMac Modes"
EndSection

There is no reason an iMac's XF86Config-4 file needs to differ in any
other respect from that for any other Macintosh.

In fact, note that the above is also a good solution for:
	* TiBooks, with their unusual 1152x768 resolution
	* the new TiBook, with its unusual 1280x864(?) resolution
	* people who use a monitor that requires nonstandard modelines
	* people who enjoy writing/tweaking their own modelines

If you do the above, please remember to configure debconf to not manage
your XFree86 configuration file.  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.

Alternatively, place the Modes section, and the dependent chain of
Monitor, Screen, and Layout sections, outside the "debconf area" of your
XF86Config-4 file.  This is explained in the comments in that file.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    confuse me with the facts.