Re: XF86Config-4 for 266 MHz iMac

Hi Tara,

in order to find the correct modeline for your monitor, xvidtune may help you (but you need at least something on your screen, even distorted, and a working mouse first). The problem with the mouse may come from your kernel not being correctly configured (it was my problem).

I'm using a 2.4.18 kernel on a G3 White&Blue. Here are some of my config options related to either USB, the MOUSE, or mac IO. I don't know the exact meaning of most of them (it can be found in the help of the kernel config utility), and because we don't have the same machine, some options may not apply to your iMac. Yet it may help you track down the differences from your own kernel config:

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_ADB_CUDA=y
CONFIG_ADB=y
CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID=y
CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y
CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y
CONFIG_MAC_HID=y
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_USB_ACM=m
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_VISOR=m

If you don't know how to compile a new kernel (it's quite common, and quite easy as well, as soon as you observe some simple sanity rules), the Kernel Howto is a very good starting point (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html). The sources can be directly downloaded as debian packages with apt-get.

Hope it helps you.

Francois

Tara Piorkowski wrote:

I have woody installed on my 266MHz iMac and it's running great, except that I cannot for the life of me get XFree86 properly configured. I have done tons of reading and a fair amount of playing (dpkg-reconfigure, trying to compile Xautocfg, looking for precompleted files, etc.) but cannot get it to work. The two main problems seem to be using the USB mouse and finding out the appropriate HorizSync range (VertRefresh seems to be 74-117). I had it running on SuSE PPC 7.1 using SAX2 but, alas, wiped the drive without copying the configuration file.

Anyway, I'd be most appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction for getting this configured. I'm very anxious to run woody on that old iMac.

Thanks.

Tara