Re: changing extensions, a little OT perhaps.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 01:32:33PM -0400, Bob Torres wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently transferred some MP3s from my MacOS desktop to my Debianppc
> laptop.  There are no file extensions for these mp3 files, so they're
> kind worthless for xmms in Linux.
>
> On the Linux side, how would I go about adding extensions to these files
> without doing it manually?  In other words, is there something I could
> pass at the command line to accomplish this for a whole directory of
> files?

If the directory with the mp3s contains only misnamed MP3s, and assuming
a Bourne shell:

$ for i in *; do mv "$i" "$i.mp3"; done

or, (mostly) regardless of shell

$ find . -type f -exec mv {} {}.bak \;

If other non-MP3 files are present in the directory:

$ for i in *; do if file "$i" | grep -q MPEG; then mv "$i" "$i.mp3"; fi; done

or (probably overkill):

$ find . -type f -exec sh -c 'file {} | grep -q MPEG' \; -exec mv {} {}.mp3 \;

Add a '-maxdepth 1' between '.' and '-type' on the commands using find
if you only want them to rename files in the current directory -
otherwise, they recurse to any subdirectories.

--
William Aoki     waoki@umnh.utah.edu       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
3B0A 6800 8A1A 78A7 9A26 BB92              \ /  No HTML in mail or news!