Re: ibook2 "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps", does it work?

At 17:43 -0600 27 Feb 2002, d-liao@uiuc.edu wrote:
> I am trying to reamp the ctrl and caps keys on my ibook2.
>
> From the log file, the line
>
> Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
>
> was read, but nothing happens.  How to debug?

The problem is that caps lock is somewhat strange on ADB keyboards
(which Apple is still using in portables).  When you engage caps-lock,
the key-up event is sent in a non-standard way.  The key-down when
disengaging is sent in a similar way.

A kernel patch from Gregorio Gervas to deal with these non-standard
events was posted to this list last August.  At the time there was some
talk of it possibly causing problems in some cases, but I've been using
it for quite some time now, and the only "problem" I've had is that the
caps-lock light still gets toggled.  With this doing "ctrl:nocaps" for X
works fine.

Since the patch is small I'm attaching it here.

--
Aaron Schrab     aaron@schrab.com      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
 No, I'm not going to explain it.  If you can't figure it out, you