Re: Debian network installation on IBM RS/6000 44P-170 (POWER3) - HOWTO

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:31:47PM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:

> I would have saved a few key strokes during the install if I had modified
> the config file to enable serial port console.
> It appears that it is enabled in the config file:
> ~snip
> #
> # Character devices
> #
> CONFIG_VT=y
> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
> ~snip
>
> However, I must have missed something because it was definitely not
> enabled.

Have you used the PPC kernel patch?  There is an added functionality
that allows setting command-line arguments to the kernel, inluding
"root=/dev/sda3 console=ttyS0,9600" (which I've found necessary installing on a 43P 140 using the serial console).

> Second, while booting the zImage.initrd image, the target system would
> always hang before loading the whole file. It turns out one has to issue
> the following command on the server:
> $ arp -s target_ip target_hw_addr
>
> I do not fully understand why; however, it is all documented here:
> http://penguinppc.org/~hollis/linux/rs6k-netboot.shtml

Yes, ran into that when I was testing the Sun tftp images for Potato.

> This is where you normally would select the following option in the
> installer:
> - Install Kernel and Driver Modules
>
> However, since I know that the FTP/HTTP method will fail, I am going to the
> shell instead.
> In boot-floppies, I select:
> - Execute a Shell

I'm curious.  Why/how does the FTP/HTTP method fail?  I've used it
repeatedly installing on my 43P 140.

> Install Base
> ============
>
> While still at the shell in the '/target' directory issue:
>
> # wget
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/base-images-current/basedebs.tar

Again, I use the boot-floppies FTP/HTTP method without any problems at
all.  Is this CHRP specific?

> In boot-floppies, select the following option:
> - Install the Base System
>
> I would have chosen: 'network: HTTP or FTP over the network'
>
> However, since this feature also is broken, I chose: 'mounted: already
> mounted filesystem'

You know :)

> Make System Bootable
> ====================
>
> The following option in boot-floppies does not work:
> - Make System Bootable
>
> However, if I go to the shell and execute any of the following commands I
> am still not able to make the system bootable:
> # yabootconfig - with various parameters I know should work
> # ybin - with various parameters I know should work
> # dd if=/target/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot of=/dev/sda1
>
> It appears that 'yaboot' on the initrd image is broken. What options do I
> have left?

Ok, is it actually necessary to "Make System Bootable" at this point?
System Management Services (the firmware) handles the boot-sequence on
this platform.  All it requires is that the boot-device be in the
bootlist, and that there is a Type 41 partition on the boot-device.  The
firmware will attempt to load whatever it finds on that partition.  Ah,
I think I see...  I download the kernel image as you did, but then 'dd
if=/target/boot/vmlinux of=/dev/sda1'.  AFAICT, yaboot is totally
unnecessary on IBM RISC systems, the firmware handles everything.

> BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ENTERING VALUES LIKE ROOT PASSWORD!
>
> The reason for this is that the screen emulation is not working correctly
> with these menus (at least not for me and my vt102 terminal). Make sure to
> press the backspace/delete button a few times in each field. Otherwise, you
> will get to the login prompt but not be able to log in, because the root
> password will not be what you typed in.

Haven't seen this, but I'm using a serial-to-serial connection with
another computer and a terminal-emulator.

Thank you very much for this, and I'd love to see it at a URL and
actively maintained.

Regards,
Steve