Re: Turning Airport card off on iBook

On  27 Apr, this message from Jeffrey Baker echoed through cyberspace:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:16:51PM +0100, Edd Dumbill wrote:
>> I'm going to be travelling shortly, and I expect the airline won't be
>> happy if my iBook is emitting radio signals from the Airport card.  Any
>> idea how I can turn the card off from inside Debian, or do I need to
>> remove it?
>
> First, your airport card isn't going to interfere with anything
> related to flying the airplane.  There's absolutely no science
> behind these in-flight electronics rules and it's all a bunch of
> rubish.  It's the same form of rubbish that makes every gas station
> in california prohibit use of cell phones near the gas pumps,
> regardless of the giant whirling high-power electrical generator in
> every car.  Sigh.
>
> The reason you can't use your cell phone in the plane is because it
> fucks up the terrestrial cellular network, not because it interferes
> with the avionics.

I tend to disagree for the cell phones specifically, but other than that
(like cdroms) you are probably right.

> You can disable your airport card by simply commenting out this line
> in /etc/network interfaces:
>
> auto eth0
>
> change it to
>
> # auto eth0

Note that for me, airport is eth1 (I have gmac compiled-in for the
built-in ethernet). So make sure you get the right interface.

Aside from that detail, yes, keeping the interface unconfigured should
power it down. That's as good a removing the card ;-). If you want to be
absolutely sure, compile airport support as a module and remove the
module when not in use.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |