Re: Upgrading Mac-side kernel for BootX

due to recommendations on the list about not using the HFS stuff built into the kernel (file corruptions issues), i use the hfsutils utilities to copy my new kernels into the system folder.

If fact at one time i had a pretty neat script that would:

- copy new vmlinux/System.map to /boot (with a version appended)
- setup symlinks in /boot and in / pointed to new vmlinux/System.map
- copy vmlinux to Linux Kernels folder in System Folders on boot partition

I'd be perfectly willing to give it out, except I lost it when I totally hosed my system (hey, ever hear of this backup thing? 8-))

One other tip, I frequently did my kernel compiles/installs remotely. Since the preferences for BootX are in a resource fork, I had a generically named kernel (linux) and set that as the default boot kernel. When I copied into the linux kernels folder I put 2 copies in, 1 named linux, overwriting the previous default and 1 named with a more descriptive name.

Finally, I did manage to get my 7200 to boot using Quik so it didn't need MacOS on it at all (the above steps are what I use on a SuperMac C500 which has the worst Open Firmware I've seen, it isn't even consistent from boot to boot).

Kevin