Upgrading Mac-side kernel for BootX

Folks,

Okay, I'm ready to take the plunge and upgrade my kernel (first to the most recent potato, then probably to woody), but I'm a fairly naive user, so I could use a little help.

I've got an OldWorld Mac (PowerMac 7200) which means I'm using BootX (ver 1.2.2) by necessity. BootX requires the Linux kernel to be saved as a file on a Mac partition.

My question is: How do I obtain and write a kernel into a Mac file partition? I do have a shared partition (HFS, visible via MacOS or Linux) which I can use to transfer data between the 2 operating systems. If someone could point me to a document, or give me a little direction, I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

   -- Bill