Re: Sharing a Cable Modem

Richard Barraclough wrote:
Hi,

Firstly I 'd like to thank everbody who has
helped me to get my ethernet card working. I am
truly grateful.

Secondly, er, what next?!

I've been reading the HOWTOs but they're a bit
confusing.

I want to use my machine to share a cable modem. eth0 goes to a hub and is all currently set up;
I'm running telent, FTP, Apache etc. so that I
don't need to attach a monitor to the machine.

eth1 (the PCI card) will go to the cable modem.

I figure that the next thing to do is DHCP.

How to I get dhcpcd to configure ONLY eth1? (Does
eth1 need "ifconfig eth1 address up" first).

$ man interfaces

How do I det dhcpd to offer ONLY on eth0

$apt-cache search dhcp server
Install the one you fancy and read the docs
(we use dhcp in our office, works nicely)

How do I get inetd to listen to eth1 as well as
eth0?

It will listen to both

The box will have to do IP Masquerade, this is
ipchains right? I think I can do ipchains.

I have that as a script on my iMac to offer masquerading to my laptop.

# install ipchains modulemodprobe ipchains
# enable IP forwarding
/sbin/sysctl -w net/ipv4/ip_forward=1 > /dev/null
# Deny all forwarding
ipchains -P forward DENY
# Forward (masquerade) to eth0 (internet) what comes from 192.168.1.2
ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -s 192.168.1.2/32 -j MASQ

What have I forgotten?

TO READ THE BLOODY MANUALS (try not to stain your shirt with the blood btw)

Thank you, fantastic people, for even bothering
to read this.

We love you as well

Richard.

Cheers