Re: Questions about notebooks and Debian

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 09:24:55AM +0200, Sven wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:08:00AM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> >  Battery tech is getting pretty good.  My friend got a 1GHz PIII
> > laptop with 512MB RAM, and he says the battery lasts 3-4 hours IIRC.
> > I asked him how toasty it got, and he said it wasn't very nice holding
> > it in his lap...
>
> Sure, but was the processor actively working ? and what kind of battery does it have. I guess
> it was magnitudes higher that the one in the ibook, which only has a 42 Watt/hour battery
> (which makes it use ~ 8Watts/hour, there is noway you can achieve that on a i386 box.)

 Your units are incorrect.  I think you meant to measure your battery
capacity in watt hours (watts times hours, which is a unit of energy),
and to calculate the energy usage as 8 watts.  (watts = energy / time,
using joules and seconds.)

> Anyway, you can't forget that the G3 eats less that 5W of power, while the 1Gz PIII
> want around 15-20Watts, i think, that is when it is not being downstepped to run ~300MHz
> or such. And the duron case is worse, since it wants around 25-30Watts.

 What percentage of the total power is used by the CPU?  How
significant is that extra 10W for the CPU?

--
#define X(x,y) x##y