Re: loading a compressed ramdisk image

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:07:48PM -0400, Andrew Dixon wrote:

> Is this functionality missing from the PPC or is it just convention to
> let the bootloader handle this?

the bootloader handles this on i386 too, your just missing the fact
that zImage and bzImage kernels are really a 16 bit i386 BIOS
bootloader with a gzipped kernel stuck to the end.

> My problem with having the bootloader do this is that we're writing our
> own bootloader and I don't want to make it any more complex than it has
> to be.

look at the existing `piggyback' bootloaders powerpc already has,
there is one for all sub-archetectures.  linux/arch/ppc/boot/*

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/