Re: loading a compressed ramdisk image

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > That's the bootloader's job on PPC. With a sane OF implementation, your
> > > boot loader would be yaboot and something like initrd=<of-path to
> > > ramdisk> and append="root=/dev/ram" should do.
> > >
> > Is this functionality missing from the PPC or is it just convention to
> > let the bootloader handle this?
>
> Convention. You sure can compile in something to initialize the command
> line in the kernel but most people prefer to keep that in the bootstrap
> (which isn't as limited as on Intel in size).
>
> > My problem with having the bootloader do this is that we're writing our
> > own bootloader and I don't want to make it any more complex than it has
> > to be.
>
> Your call. You can hardcode the command line and ramdisk path in the
> loader as well. The loader needs to know where to find the ramdisk anyway,
> right? (The kernel cannot load the ramdisk from some other storage BTW.)

Do you mean that the kernel and root image need to live on the same
device?  So if the kernel is on a floppy disk the root image can't be on
the hard disk.

Or it can be made to always pass root=/dev/ram as command line if
> all you'll ever do is use a ramdisk as root filesystem.

I'll definitely always use /dev/ram as the root device but I think I
need to have the root image be configurable.

Making a rdev
> equivalent for PPC cannot be that tough either, it just hasn't been done
> because no one thought it useful.

I've only read the man pages for rdev and I'm still not clear on how it
works.  Does it mask a word in the kernel that has all of the
information on where to locate the root image?  If that's all it does I
don't see why it wouldn't work for the PPC.  Unless that word lives in a
different location on the PPC.

Thanks,
Andy