ybin and NetBSD [Was: GNU/Linux, NetBSD and Mac OS X]

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 07:17:23PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 09:03:04PM -0500, John Valdes wrote:
> >
> > no.  As others said, though, you can simply use multiple bootloaders:
> > yaboot for Linux, ofwboot for NetBSD, etc.  To make the boot process
> > easier, I recommend using ybin.  ybin is a Bourne shell script which
> > can create a boot script which OpenFirmware can use for booting the
> > different bootloaders.  The boot script is a "CHRP" script (basically,
> > a script written in Forth) which OpenFirmware can load from disk and
> > interpret.  The boot script presents you w/ a text menu from which you
> > can choose which OS to boot.  Mine gives me the following menu:
> >
> >   Pick an OS, any OS:
> >
> >   Press m for MacOS,
> > 	t for MacOS X,
> > 	b for NetBSD,
> > 	l for Linux,
> >   or
> > 	c for CDROM,
> > 	n for Network,
> > 	o for OpenFirmware.
> >
> >   Boot:
> >
> > Once you enter a choice, the script then executes the required boot
> > command, eg:
> >
> >   boot hd:10,\\:tbxi                       for MacOS on partition 10
> >   boot hd:9,\ofwboot.elf hd:12/netbsd      for NetBSD w/ bootloader on 9,
> >                                              kernel on 12
> >   boot hd:9,\yaboot                        for yaboot bootloader on 9
>

> i will add support for this to ybin 1.2 to be released RSN.  the
> config option will be netbsd=/dev/whatever  where /dev/whatever is the
> netbsd bootstrap partition.  this CAN be the same as ybin's bootstrap
> partition but at this time ybin won't be able to install the netbsd
> loader.  so you will have to install the netbsd loader in the
> bootstrap partittion yourself (making sure its not set to type tbxi).
> and refrain from running mkofboot instead of ybin.

The behavior of ybin for NetBSD is note usefull.  I will prefers the
following:

    # root partion ofr NetBSD
    bsd=/dev/had11

Then ybin will transtate to:

    boot hd:10,\ofwboot.elf hd:11,/netbsd

where hd:10 is yaboot bootstrap partition.
--
Edouard G. Parmelan
http://egp.free.fr