Re: How-To install a Debian 2.2 on RS/6000 B50

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:23:44PM +0100, Christophe Suire wrote:
> >
> > yes excuse me for the path .. in fact you have to copy yaboot to
> > /usr/local/lib/yaboot/
> > For ybin .. i try it .. but it was not working on my RS/6000 ! :) (it
> > says that the NCRxxx isn't supported)
>
> that was probably ofpath that said this, ofpath is only used when you
> have a magicboot= script set, these are not needed and are really not
> useful on this hardware so the entire option should be removed.
>
> however i do know ybin won't work on these machines as is, it at the
> moment insists on creating either an HFS or msdos filesystem on the
> bootstrap partition and then copying yaboot and yaboot.conf to that
> filesystem.  that isn't the correct configuration for these as i
> understand it.
>
> my idea is create a yaboot.conf like so:
>
> boot=/dev/sda1
> timeout=30
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> fstype=raw # or maybe none?
> nonvram
>
> image=/vmlinux
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/sda2
>         read-only
>
> then ybin will not use ofpath since it is not going to set the
> boot-device variable (i doubt nvsetenv supports this machine anyway)
> and it will not use a magicboot script at all.  currently fstype=raw
> is invalid, but when i add that ybin would instead of creating or
> mounting a filesystem simply dd if=$install of=$boot bs=512
>
> does this sound about right?
>
> > For the boot-device variable .. i don't need to update it .. because i
> > think that it was configured to boot on the first partition ..
>
> yes probably so, i don't think i can update it anyway since nvsetenv
> is very PowerMac specific right now.
>
> > For the bootstrap partition .. i don't need to initialize it ..
>
> yes, i imagine you could create a filesystem then boot it like a
> floppy, boot hd:,\yaboot or something like that, but since it prefers
> booting the raw device its better to do that.  (less hassle)
>
> > For the test .. i'm sorry .. but i have no more the machine .. it was
> > given by IBM for an exhibition ..
>
> thats too bad, well i should be able to find someone to test things
> out for me.

my use oy Yaboot comes from the Readme of yaboot source with IBM patch
..

A. System Partitioning:
   1. Only FDISK partitioning has been tested on the RS/6000.
      However, yaboot does support mac partitions on a mac, so they
should
      work on an RS/6000 if you really want to go that route.
   2. Extended FDISK partitions have not been tested and are not
expected to
      work at this time.
   3. yaboot must be installed by itself in a bootable partition of type
0x41.
      This partition must be less than 10MB.

   Recommended partition configuration:
      /dev/sda1 : PREP Boot.    Type 0x41. Size = 4 MB
      /dev/sda2 : Linux swap.   Type 0x82. Size = 128 MB
      /dev/sda3 : Linux native. Type 0x83.

B. Building & Installation:
   1. See the partitioning section for notes & examples on how to
configure
      your system partitions when installing Linux.
   2. Build yaboot by doing:
       make clean; make
   3. Install yaboot by doing (as root):
      dd if=yaboot of=/dev/sdax
      where x is the boot partition; for example: dd if=yaboot
of=/dev/sda1
   4. Make a yaboot.conf file in /etc/yaboot.conf

C. Configuration File (/etc/yaboot.conf):
   1. See the ybin documentation for the full range of options.
   2. Options tested on an RS/6000 include:
      timeout = <time in tenths of a second>
      default = <default label>
      root= <device containing the root filesystem>
      image = <path to vmlinux kernel file>
      label = <short name for this image>

   3. Examples:

      ## example /etc/yaboot.conf for RS/6000
      ## Timeout value is in tenths of a second
      timeout=200
      default=linux

      image=/boot/vmlinux
      label=linux