Re: 2.4.9-benh0 crashes during boot with 7600 and Voodoo3

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 08:49:30AM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> For me, it stops booting at several points: one time it stops at Init:, and
> another time it stops at calculating module dependencies. Interestingly, it
> does boot (I'm using BootX) if I boot from the extension rather than going
> all the way into the Mac OS. However, with this method, I have no sound...It
> seems that my choice is either no sound and boot, or don't boot and have
> sound .... :-)

Okay, I finally got sound last night after a few hours of messing around and
searching the old debian-powerpc archives.

1)	Compile in or modularize sound support and the Powermac DMA sound in the
kernel.

2) Make sure and /dev/mixer* has ugo+r permissions.

3) Add your normal user to the cdrom and audio groups (adduser me cdrom) so
you can have sound

3b) You may have to logout for this to take effect. I couldn't get it to work
without logging out

4) apt-get install gnome-media or some other package with a usable mixer to
adjust sound volumes

For CD audio that is all you need, if ya want to listen to MP3's...

I'm using xmms which seems to work for most everything I need, except it
the smpeg plugin makes all my mpg movie streams color defective. Everyone
looks like a Smurf! To get XMMS to work...

5) apt-get install esound esound-common

6) Change XMMS options for output to esound with localhost and port 16001
To ensure I got at least CD audio out, I told XMMS to use direct CD, not
digital CD for now. I guess to convert CD's to MP3s or OGGs I'll have to
see if digital stream will work.

And you should have sound.

> > 	I'm using the 2.4.9-benh0 kernel with a StarMax 4000 and a Voodoo3.
> > 	Also, with the Voodoo3, your consoles will not work with X. You either
> > have to boot with no video driver and no X or X without readable consoles.
> What's up with this? Is there some way to get it fixed? (Besides, the usual
> "Start Hacking").  What goes right in the 2.2.19 kernel that can't seem to
> get put into the 2.4.x kernels?

2.2.X kernels had a patch to the tdfx_drv, but the 2.4.X kernels have not had
the endian-safe patch developed.

--
Anthony