Re: New with PPC soon...

> > kernel panic.  But 2.4.8-pre3 + XFS CVS has only dropped me into xmon
> > once (likely not XFS related), and I've encountered no problems with
> > corruption or anything else.
>
> I've been surprised for the good. The overall performance has improved
> dramatically. One extreme example is diffing two 2.4 kernel trees. With
> reiserfs, that took well over six minutes. Now with XFS it finished after
> 2:28.something ... impressive.
>
> Maybe I should thank Hans for scaring me off his crap. ;)

Seconded. We've moved off reiserfs for a NFS server here recently, it was
just too much NFS stalls with only three or four clients connected to
bear. I had originally blamed it on shitty IDE performance but it kept
happening on a SCSI RAID (getting worse with time).

Sadly, XFS is unconvincing so far (it keeps eating the /var partition on
one of our clients after a few hours of uptime). Only happens on that box,
so maybe it's processor related (and none of the boxes are PPC so there
may be no reason to worry for you). But that sort if thing scares me more
than just a bit ...

	Michael