Re: new to Mac, doing net install

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:30:50AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> First of all, I know next to nothing about MacOS or OpenFirmware.
> I know my way around x86 Debian and embedded PowerPC Linux though.
> Please correct any errors that you see.
>
> I have a Mac Cube w/ DVD, and no way to make a CD-ROM. I could
> connect the Mac to a PC via Ethernet or FireWire. This ought to
> be enough to install Linux... yes?

yes

> (BTW, FireWire looks like a cheap 400 Mb/s net connection to me.)
>
> So I guess I serve something (what?) to the Mac with TFTP, using
> an IP address that I have to set in OpenFirmware.

penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/netboot.shtml

> Looking around at LinuxPPC stuff, it seems that I can't escape

don't look at LinuxPPC stuff, frankly they are full of shit.  nuff said.

> keeping an HFS partition around. I find this odd, since I don't
> need a FAT partition for x86 Linux. Don't people want to be free
> of MacOS cruft? If this is about OpenFirmware knowing filesystem
> layout, then doesn't that mean Apple would have to flash a new
> OpenFirmware revision if MacOS were to run on non-HFS filesystems?

penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

you need a bootstrap partition, it must be 800K type Apple_Bootstrap,
you will never mount it, nor do anything to it yourself, only the
bootloader installer ybin and mkofboot ever touch it.  kernels belong
on your ext2 / filesystem, or an ext2 /boot if you use xfs as /

> In the x86 world, we have a tool called FIPS that we can use to
> resize a FAT partition. Anything like this for HFS?

no not really.  expensive proprietary crap, but i don't think it works
on HFS+

> Say I need to update the firmware... is this likely, and would I
> need to keep a non-MOL copy of MacOS around to do it?

upgrade the firmware to the latest available now, and you won't have
to again, trust me apple will NOT release anymore upgrades, after the
first firmware upgrade you are expected to buy new hardware.

> Does MacOS have any odd partitioning requirements, such as being
> the first or last OS on the disk?

must be last, penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

> The official 2.4.9 kernel is just how broken on a Mac? Do I just
> patch a few lines or would I be getting into major surgery?

heh

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/