Re: Booting on a hfs partition for oldworld

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 01:43:31PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Does quik have any trouble reading ext2fs for 2.2 kernels?  Since they have different features...

it doesn't seem to.  the only troubles i have seen (from others
setups) is it does not always seem to follow symlinks.

> I have been able to make quik work on the 7300, but I haven't found the magic combination for a
> oldworld g3 or a 7200. :(
>
> Could this be part of the trouble?

i have a friend booting via quik on a 7200 with 2.2 ext2fs (with the
new features)  however 2.2.15 and 2.2.16 did not boot on that machine,
2.2.14 did and 2.2.17 did.  have not tested 2.2.18 yet.

> The problem is I didn't document each step as I went through it.
>
> How can I tell if I have the a 2.2 ext2 file system?

tune2fs -l /dev/hda?  and look at the Features line, if it has `sparse
super' or `filetype' you have the new features.  but i do not believe
these affect quik.

> After downloading the new boot floppies, it won't respond to the <enter> key.  So I have used a
> combination of the old boot hfs, and new root floppy.  It's working ok, and it has all of the
> utilities needed...  It is the same on a 7300, 7200 and a oldworld g3.

should be... Dan knows more about the miboot floppies then i do, i
don't actually have any oldworld hardware...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/