Re: new input layer

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:20:31AM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Yes, went through the whole thing and still didn't understand this.  For example,
> it says, "For backwards compatibility, the deprecated adb_buttons= kernel argument
> still uses ADB keycodes" but this is clearly failing for everyone.

Don't know about that, but...

> I had thought there were now two mappings: ADB (for compatibility, e.g. in
> .Xmodmap) and "Linux", which is why we use "IMPS/2" as the X mouse mapping...

As someone else said, the X mouse setting has nothing to do with the
input layer at all; this is strictly keyboard only.

> So I went to an i386 box with PS/2 keyboard, did xmodmap -pke, and the resulting
> mapping of course had nothing to do with the mouse button emulation codes.  The
> PS/2 mouse is the "Linux" standard, but has nothing to do with the keyboard.  Why
> not just a new "Linux" mouse standard too?

Why should there be?

> So now to deal with an ADB (or other non-PS/2) input system, we need to work with
> three sets of standards: ADB, PS/2, and "Linux"- the last of which is part PS/2 and
> part something completely different?  And such standby tools as showkey are
> broken?  And this in a kernel-image in r2?  Sure, that will be perfectly clear to
> everyone the first time.

Not at all true.  I don't know where you're getting PS/2 from; it's a
mouse protocol.  PS/2 keyboards generate Linux keycodes on all
architectures, as far as I know.

> With breakage this bad mid-release in stable, and documentation this poor, I expect
> the confused posts will continue for another month or two.  Learn to deal with it,
> or just use the "delete" button.

The documentation has seemed to be entirely adequate, or I wouldn't
have made the change.  I tested a few basic configurations, and they
worked flawlessly - on one machine I needed to either change the
default XF4 config or use linux keycodes, but that's not surprising.
Franz documented how to set up mouse emulation, and his directions were
entirely accurate.

The adb_buttons stuff has been deprecated for a while, as far as I
know.  It should still work, but if it doesn't I recommend just using
the new method.

Dan