Re: XFree86 4.0.1 on PowerPC status update #2

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 09:32:30AM -0600, Phil Fraering wrote:
> I'd like to ask _what_ it sees as being different about kernel 2.4 from
> kernel 2.2. Just guessing from the fact that it's an input device, and
> in a generic sense the input layer has changed on 2.4 systems than on
> 2.2 systems... except there's a bigger catch:
>
> Many people here on this list are using versions of the 2.2 kernel with
> the relevant input sections of the 2.4 kernel's source "backported" to
> it, so that they have a 2.4-like input layer. I'm one of those people.
>
> Due to various constraints, users of newer Mac hardware will probably
> be either using a 2.2 kernel with backported stuff or a 2.4 kernel.

I think it's mainly just an error on the part of the author of xf86Wacom.c,
Frederic Lepied.  He appears to be defining a structure in his source file
that collides head-on with something defined in <linux/input.h>.

> > In other news, the donated B&W G3 showed up, but I am having difficulty
> > partitioning it.  mac-fdisk is not the world's friendliest tool!  I'm sure
> > the folks on #debian-devel can get me going, though.
>
> There's a really nifty tutorial for mac-fdisk (or whatever else you're
> supposed to be using) at Ethan Benson's web site, at
> http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll check it out.

> The long and the short of it is, you'll have to work out the size of your
> combined linux partitions; don't forget the bootstrap partition! Then use
> MacOS's partitioner to create a single partition that size ahead of your
> planned MacOS partition(s), if any. You then boot your linux CD, go into
> mac-fdisk, delete the big placeholder partition, and create a bunch of
> partitions where it was, starting with the bootstrap partition (which must
> be hfs, not hfs+, and about 800k. Again, see the web site for the
> instructions, including details on mac-fdisk.) I've found that having MacOS
> present on the hard drive can be a help if one accidentally screws up the
> yaboot.conf on the bootstrap partition so that you can't boot the Linux
> partition to fix the yaboot.conf there, BTW. Yes, it's inelegant, but I
> think you've noticed by now there's no place to stick a rescue floppy in the
> machine. You can use the CD if things get that bad...

Yes, I have one of the world's few extant 2.2r2 PowerPC binary CD #1's
right now, apparently.

> Anyway, I have to go. I hope that helped.

Thanks for the tips.

> (Maybe it would help if some of us pitched in and donated memory for one
> of the machines, so you would have faster compile times? I think we should
> discuss this before I'm broke again).

Heh, I think I'm doing fine right now.  If the stickers on the DIMM's are
correct, this machine has 256MB of RAM.  I think I probably have as much of
a PowerPC as I need for the moment as far as X compiles go; the important
thing was getting the compile time below 11 hours, which is how long it
took on the old 7200/90.

Someone was wanting to donate a beige G3; it should go to a worthy home,
and perhaps you can help that person get a decent amount of RAM in it.

I'll get back to you if the DIMM's mislabeled, though, and I really only
have 8MB.  :)

I'll probably continue to use i386 as my primary development platform, just
because I can cycle in less than an hour and a half on it.  But having a
PowerPC fast enough that I can start and evaluate a build within a normal
workday is enough.  (Like I *have* any normal workdays, but that's a
separate issue...)

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    There's nothing an agnostic can't do
Debian GNU/Linux                |    if he doesn't know whether he believes