Re: XF4.0.1 on Debian and PowerMac problems....

"W. Crowshaw" wrote:

> At 8:54 PM +0100 12/5/00, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >"W. Crowshaw" wrote:
> >>
> >>  Since I could get X 3.3.6 running on my Debian 2.2.17 installed
> >>  PowerMac 7500 (4MB VRAM, 604e ),
> >
> >What was the problem with 3.3.6?
> Pretty much the same problem.  X wouldn't come up, either at startup
> or startx.  Sure, I believe start up tries to bring up X with xdm,
> but all that happened was the screened blink black three times and
> showed the login prompt.  I posted a description of this problem to
> the powerpc-debian list, but no  one seemed to be able to solve the
> problem.

Error logs would be interesting. Something like 'startx &> X.log'.

> Hmm...I didn't know that. Could you point me to those 4.0.2 debs?

Put this in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://people.debian.org/%7Ebranden/ woody/$(ARCH)/

> Oh..and before I upgrade to woody I would like to get potato up and
> working first, if that's possible.

potato means 3.3.x so far.

> >>  The most important changed seems to be the BUSID in the "Device
> >>  Section." Running "cat /proc/pci", I got two BusID alternatives: either
> >>  "PCI:0:11:0" for Bandit or "PCI:0:16:0" for Grand.  Alternating between
> >>  both options seems to make no difference.
> >
> >Have you tried without the bus ID? :)
> >
> I tried it without, but I just got 2 more error messages:
>
> (EE) FBDev(0): No Display subsection in Screen section "ScreenOne"
> for depth/fbbpp 32/32
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> But, as you can see from my previous post XF86Config file, there is
> definitely a 'display' subsection of the 'Screen' section.

But there is no depth 32. If you want 32 bpp, that's depth 24, fbbpp 32, so
you need a Display Subsection with Depth 24 and FbBpp 32.

> >>  My second problem with installed X 4.0.1 relates to xfs.  Previously,
> >>  using X 3.3.6, the font server would always come up on startup, even
> >>  when X itself failed.  With X 4.0.1, now xfs also fails. On startup I
> >>  get the following message:
> >>  "Starting X font server: xfs/usr/bin/X11/xfs: error in loading shared
> >>  libraries: libXfont.so./: cannot open shared object file: No such
> >                          ^
> >I assume this should be a '1'?
> >

> Yes, that was a typo.  It really is '1' on 'one.'
> >>  file or directory"
> >
> >Have you installed the 4.x libraries and run ldconfig after that?
> >
> Which libraries are you referring to?

The X libraries, most of all the new ones like libXfont which xfs doesn't
find.

>  I definitely didn't run ldconfig.

This might be the reason for xfs not finding it.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project