Re: help wanted with boot problem

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:45:31AM +0100, Mark Lamers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed a debian prep version on my Bull Estrella 300 with
> Powerstack II Utah. According to the install text , there should be a
> prep (type 41)
> boot directory (first partition, first drive). Now I have a kernel panic
> because the kernel could'nt load thet "/" partition.
> Any suggestions ?

note im not terribly familier with prep machines, but as i understand
it you dd the kernel right onto the raw prepboot partition.  i presume
you need to rdev it to set the default root device appropriately.

there is also a ROOT_DEVICE = keyword in the top level kernel Makefile
which you can hard code the default root device.  this is the only
option i can think of since there is no boot loader.  but as i said im
not terribly familier with PRePs.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/