Re: prebuilt kernel, ibook video mode... is this progress?

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 06:36:47PM -0600, Phil Fraering wrote:
> Well, after spelunking through the archives some more, I found out that
> I had a minor problem in yaboot.conf; basicaly, instead of having a
> line saying "video=aty128fb...", I needed one that said
>
> append= "video=aty128fb:vmode:10:depth:16"
>
> (Note space after the equals sign; is that really necessary?

no, but that is a valid way to do it, though not consistent...

you can write yaboot lines like:

append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:10:depth:16"

or

append="video=aty128fb:vmode:10:depth:16"

other options works the same:

root = /dev/hda3
root=/dev/hda3

> * Is vmode 10 the only one I can use? Do I want to try one of
> the others instead?

this i know not.

> * While using vmode 10, I went to depth=32, and the screen went screwy.
> Everything got compressed into the top quarter. Doing depth=16 didn't
> make things right again. Rebooting into MacOS did, however. But is there
> a safer vmode, that can handle more bit depths, or handle them more
> safely? Should fbset come with a "may destroy your lcd" warning?

use depth=8  the console does not have any more color then this so
using higher depths is pointless.

> * Do I need to install the new input layer?

ben's kernels usually have this patched in and enabled, its also in
mainstream 2.2.18.  if you mouse no longer works you probably need to
populate /dev/input/ and fix your config files.