Re: Motorola Starmax 3000/180, RTL 8139/8029, and a /big/ quandary

Michel Dänzer <daenzer@relog.ch> writes:

> Kurt Raschke wrote:
> >
> > So, what's involved in doing the null modem PPP install?  I've already got a
> > cable that I can use to connect my i386 box and my Starmax, but I don't know
> > how to set up a PPP server, nor do I know how to get the installation
> > program to use a null-modem connection.  Note that I'm talking about the
> > program that runs after the system reboots on its own.
>
> A PPP connection over a null modem cable is basically a 'normal' PPP
> connection. You need almost the same /etc/ppp/options file (just reverse the
> IP addresses ;) on both ends: disable authentication, dialing (use an empty
> dial script e.g.) etc.

This is controlled by /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/peers/provider.

Make sure you disable crtscts (hardware flow control).  Mac serial
ports don't support it.  Also, disable the chat script by commenting
out the connect line in the provider file.  You don't want
defaultroute set on your PC, but you do want proxyarp.  I think that's
just about everything.

HTH,

cbb