Re: Mouse & Keyboard settings on Debian for PowerPC

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 04:59:42PM -0700, Thomas Powell wanted to say the following:
> to get your keymap working, uncomment the lines under powermac in
> /etc/X11/XModmap and add "exec xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap &" to your
> .xinitrc file. I emulate a three button mouse by passing
> "adb_buttons=103,55" to the kernel at boot (via quik or BootX) which
> uses the command key as button two and F11 as button three. You can
> modify these values to suit your needs. Note: This is using the FBDev
> xserver, XPmac is different, and can be changed on the command line, but
> I don't remember the particulars.

For Xpmac,

Xpmac.rev10 -h gives you the options to change. And putting them to the end
of /etc/gdm/gdm.conf (where the [servers] section is, works if you run the
Gnome Display Manager.

Btw, I now have my font path fixed too! Since xpmac does not read the
XF86Config file, I had to add the -fp unix/:7100 to gdm.conf to use the font
server (and thus now I am able to add fonts to the font servers catalog..
phew.. finally everything seems to work fine :) Thanks for everyone who
threw in the bits and pieces of info :)

My gdm.conf now has this:

--------8<- cut -----------
[servers]
#0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7   # <- the old line
0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7 -middlekey 111 -rightkey 119 -nooptionmouse -once dpms
+kb -fp unix/:7100
# this second line starts up :1 on vt8
# 1=/usr/bin/X11/X vt8  # <- stuff  that also was there before..
------- cut ->8------------

Note that the above must be on one line even though it wraps here.

So what this does?

-middlekey 111 -rightkey 119

 	Use F11 and F12 (on Pismo) for mousebuttons. Check your keycode by
	running xev and pressing keys on its window, reading the output from
	the terminal.  You get KeyPress and KeyRelease events, the value for
	"keycode NNN" gives you the code you add to the -middlekey and
	-rightkey -options.

-nooptionmouse

	I dont want to press Option-F12 to get mousebutton3. Too clunky
	:)

-once
	This kills the server after I logout. Gdm will restart it for you
	anyway.

dpms
	This should turn on VESA power manangement, but it doesnt seem to
	work in my Pismo..?

+kb
	Enable the X Keyboard Extension - Someone had this in his example,
	so I kept it. Seems to work anyway :)

-fp unix/:7100

	This sets the FontPath to use the font server. If you install the
	xfs-xtt package, you can also use Truetype fonts in your system.
	Add the font paths to the font servers config file, in debian it is
	/etc/X11/xfs/config

I hope this was useful for someone :)

Tuomas

--