Re: A few more Debian/PowerPC oddities

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 01:45:57AM -0500, Randy Gobbel wrote:
> I finally got my Debian system to the point that I can leave it in Debian.
> Hurray!  I've been jotting down anomalies as I run into them.  Here's my
> current list:
>
> --At startup, I get:
> hwclock is unable to get I/O port access.  I.e. iopl(3) returned nonzero return
> code -1.
> Am I missing some device, or what?  Maybe hwclock should be a symlink to
> /sbin/clock?

Just remove hwclock and the boot scritps will use clock.

> --rlogin: I had to mkdir /dev/pts, mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
> For some reason I never had to do this in LinuxPPC, even with the same kernel.
> A newer version of rlogind, I guess?  Seems like creating the right devices--
> or at least checking for them--should be part of the netstd install.

glibc 2.1.  We need to add this to the install - not for netstd but for
the system.

> --/usr/bin/fakeroot segfaults in make-equivs

Known.  No idea why.  Debuggers welcome.

> --Several packages have a dependency on xlib6, which doesn't exist and doesn't
> seem to be provided by xlib6g.

Thought we'd gotten them all... which?

> --There is a netscape-base-4 package, but the various components depend on
> netscape-base-407, netscape-base-45, etc., which don't exist.

Netscape is so crashy on glibc 2.1 it's not one of my higher priorities
right now.  I'm working on mozilla, though.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |