"Fixed" XF86_FBDev for Lombard?

I'm using the XF86_FBDev X server with the potato X packages on my
333 MHz Lombard.  But the X server is annoyingly broken in a few ways.
Using the atyfb driver, I'm getting a very nice 1024x768 @ 32bpp at 75 Hz
display, and it's decently fast (but moving large rectangular areas
is somewhat slow), but often it has trouble drawing lines.

I've also tried the XF86_FBDev binary (not package) from the 1999
LinuxPPC release.  It ran fine, but shows the same errors in drawing.

I'm not sure if it's an error accumulation in the X server, or maybe
the ATI framebuffer code, but it seems to get worse with extended
(more than 20 minutes) use.  I thought maybe it was heat, but I
saw other list posts with similar problems.

Does anyone have a working X server?

--
Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@io.nu)