"error in loading [...] libnewt.so.0.30"

Hello...

I'm currently trying to install debian (potato) onto my PPC (using the
LinuxPPC installer, as I'm told is the best way)...
I unpacked root.tar.gz (main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/root.tar.gz
: 751 kb [?]) to my target root (/dev/hdd6) partition.

I reboot, made BootX to use the "linux" kernel found in
/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/ (that I placed in the "Linux Kernels"
folder on my HFS FS), specified /dev/hdd6 as my root device, removed all
the ramdisk options (Use RAM Disk:no, blank Kernel arguments)  and I get
this error:

pwd: error in loading shared libraries: lib.newt.so.0.30: cannot open

I checked, and that particular library is not included in root.tar.gz
(which seems to contain an appropriate base system - I dunno.)

My system is a Apple ppc 750, 300 mhz, 192 MB RAM.

Hope this is information is adequate.