X probs after upgrade

I've been tracking testing, but held back my X stuff because I didn't want
to deal with potential X breakage, but then my upgrade last night left me
with sawmill not working for some reason.

So this morning, I decided to let X roll forward, and now I have this
weird situation:

On book, gdm starts and and I can log in, but after logging in I am just
faced with a blank x screen with no clients, no gnome, just a cusor and a
gray background.

Running startx instead of gdm brings up X with no clients.  I can switch
back to the console and launch clients manually in this case.

Gnome was starting up fine for me prior to update.  Any thoughts on what
has gotten broken here?

-raf