Oldworld Mac

Hi all,
	I just got an old Motorola StarMax 5500/200 in an auction at
work.  I already have a Mac G3 that runs MacOS just fine, so I have no
need to dual boot the StarMax.  I decided to install Debian/PPC on it
and have a couple of problems and questions.

	Firstly, my keyboard was unresponsive when attempting to load
the root disk after having initially loading from the boot disk.  I
hunted around on the ppc linux newsgroup and found that many (if not
all) oldworld macs have this problem.  One suggestion was to download
an older boot disk.  The URL is as follows:

http://www.netfall.com/powerpc/boot-floppy-oldworld.img

	I created a new boot disk from this image and after the boot
disk had done its part, the keyboard was responsive in loading the
root disk.  However, the root disk is based on a 2.2.19 kernel while
the boot disk is based on a 2.2.17 kernel.  This isn't a big deal per
se, however, after partitioning my disk and running through the
initial mounting of each partition, I installed the kernel and
modules.  When it came time to configure the device drivers, I
received an error message to the effect of "no modules found in
/target/(whichever dir I can't remember)/modules-2.2.17", basically
indicating that the system was looking for modules for the 2.2.17
kernel.  I'm imagining that the modules actually loaded were for
2.2.19.
	How do I circumvent this versioning issue?  Should I switch to
the shell and copy the installed modules over to the directory the
install is searching for?
	Also, how do I get this system to boot exclusively to Linux?
I have used BootX in the past to dual boot, but that option seems
irrelevant given my circumstance.  I know there are options like
yaboot and miboot to edit the firmware, but I'm yet to find much
documentation about how to do so.  Does anyone have experience editing
these values?

	Thanks for any help you can offer.

Michael Hallquist