Re: report install debian on powerbook G4

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 06:53:35PM +0100, Eric Deveaud wrote:

> 4) get the SystemDisk tool from apple
>    <URL:ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/macosxserver/utilities/>
>    with this one note the number of the partition or the shared
>    partition eg: XX

i don't understand why you need this utility?

>    DON'T do "disk bootable" instead go to the console, copy the
>    linux-kernel-2.2.18 to your /boot partition, name it vmlinux-2.2.18

there is another step, relink /target/vmlinux to boot/vmlinux-2.2.18,
then run:

mkofboot -b /dev/hdaNN -m /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot --root /dev/hdaYY

where /dev/hdaNN is your Apple_Bootstrap partition, and /dev/hdaYY is
your root partition.  this will install a working bootstrap on your
bootstrap partition making the disk immediatly bootable.   after you
boot into debian you still need to write your own /etc/yaboot.conf and
rerun ybin.

> 8) reboot the computer under MacOS
>    depending on the number of linux partition you've created, the
>    previous XX 	number of the shared partition has changed, use
>    SystemDisk again to get the new one, eg now it's ZZ

you can skip this step.

> 9) edit once again the yaboot.conf: modify the old XX to ZZ
>    and insert a linux boot section as following
> 	init-message = "\nDebian PPC\nhit <TAB> for boot options\n\n"
> 	timeout = 50
> 	default = debian
>
> 	image=hd:ZZ,vmlinux-2.2.18
> 	label=install
> 	initrd=hd:ZZ,ramdisk.image.gz
> 	initrd-size=8192
> 	append="video=ofonly"
>
> 	image=hd:YY,/boot/vmlinux-2.2.18
> 	label=debian
> 	root=/dev/hdaYY
> 	append="video=ofonly"
>
> 10) reboot under OF once again, at boot prompt
> 	boot hd:ZZ, yaboot

you can skip this step, mkofboot will have already made debian bootable.

>     - set up the /etc/yaboot.conf
>       eg:
> 	# bootstrap partition
> 	boot=/dev/hdaNN
> 	device=hd:
> 	delay=20
> 	timeout=20
>
> 	# the OF menu to use
> 	magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
> 	# the booter to use
> 	install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
>
> 	# enable boot form cdrom
> 	enablecdboot
>
> 	# default OS, linux of course
> 	defaultos=linux
>
> 	# linux boot options.
> 	default=debian
>
> 	image=hd:YY,/boot/vmlinux-2.2.18

instead use:

	image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.18 # or better point to a symlink
		partition=YY
		the rest as you have it.

>         	label=debian
>         	root=/dev/hdaYY
>         	append="video=ofonly"

also if you kept macos, add a:

macos=/dev/hdaCC which is your macos partition.

> 12) run mkofboot on /dev/hdaNN --filesystem hfs

you don't need --filesystem hfs, that is the default.  with the above
yaboot.conf you can run mkofboot with no command line switches and it
will work fine.

> just a note, as I've read on list, eth drivers for the eth card of the
> TiG4 are not so good.

well not so supported, i haven't heard that they are broken or
anything yet.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/